The Capodimonte Park (Bosco di Capodimonte), the historic “Delizia Royal” or “Royal Delight”, sits on a hill north of Naples. It forms part of a larger group of crown lands, which were known during the Bourbon period as “royal sites”.
The Royal Bosco di Capodimonte or “Forest of Capodimonte” is a large park attached to the beautiful “Reggia” or Royal Palace of Capodimonte. The park was designed by Ferdinando Sanfelice and centres around five main avenues, which radiate out from the “Porta di Mezzo” or “Middle Gate” to cover a total area of 134 hectares.
In 1833, the area of the park closest to the Royal Palace was developed in the English landscaping style.
The Bosco di Capodimonte was particularly apt for hunting and fishing, two activities which were virtually royal duties when the park was created. Bosco di Capodimonte, together with Caserta and Portici, were considered the main “royal sites” of the period because of their majestic palaces and parks.